A floor mat has what may seem like a pretty straightforward purpose – to prevent the sloppy stuff on the bottom of your shoes from being tracked all over the place.
But a quality floor mat system in a commercial setting plays a much more critical role than just a trap for dirt, debris and moisture. It protects the health and safety of your employees and visitors, and it saves you money in the process. Consider some of these dirty facts:
- It's far less expensive to keep dirt out of a building than it is to remove it once it's been spread around. The International Sanitary Supply Association (ISSA) estimates the cost of removing a pound of dirt from a modern workplace at $600 or more. The cost of keeping it out of the building in the first place? Considerably less. A dollar spent on keeping dirt out will save $10 in expenses related to dirt removal.
- A whopping 39% of custodial time is devoted to floor maintenance, according to the National Executive Housekeepers Association.
- Up to 80% of the dust, dirt and grime in public buildings is tracked in from the outside and spread throughout the floors, according to the ISSA.
- Poor indoor air quality and "Sick Building Syndrome" cost U.S. businesses more than $100 billion a year in lost productivity, according to the Consumer Federation of America.
- The average slip-and-fall claim is $4,000, while the average cost of defending a slip-and-fall lawsuit is $50,000, according to the National Floor Safety Institute.
Floor Mats an Effective Defense Against Accidents, Illness and High Cleaning Bills
A proper system of floor mats in the workplace is a defense against a multitude of dirty – and expensive – scenarios. High-quality, properly maintained commercial grade entrance mats can prevent much of the dirt from getting into your facility. That's dirt you won't have to pay someone to remove. That's dust that won't contribute to indoor air pollution that can make your employees sick. That's rain and mud and debris that won't leave a trail for someone to slip on.
At Budget Uniform, our commercial floor mat system keeps your workplace clean and safe with a program that matches the right mat for the job to the right locations throughout your facility and keeps them in top condition with regular pick-up and professional cleaning. From scraper mats for heavy duty cleaning, to carpeted mats, logo mats and anti-fatigue mats that can increase the productivity of employees whose jobs require long periods of standing, our floor mats are designed to help keep both dirt and worry off the job.
Call us to learn more about how a system of high quality floor mats can benefit the bottom line at your business.